John 19:30 So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.
I saw this and today was a perfect day to share: Here are 6 things Jesus accomplished on the Cross and after it was done He said “IT IS FINISHED”
1. He Removed All Of Our Sin. The term is Expiation; Jesus took all of our Sin and the guilt of sin and placed it upon His shoulders while on the cross.
John 1:29…“the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.”
2. Propitiation. This refers to the removal of God’s wrath. All of God’s wrath fell upon Jesus to destroy the sin He bore for us. It was finished, God punished our sin and would never remember it again….After this was done, Jesus was still alive. God’s provision for our sin was/is/always will be greater than His wrath.
3. Reconciliation. Sin alienated us from God, but Jesus’ sacrifice reconciled us giving us the same relationship with God that Jesus has.
Romans 5:10-11: “For if while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.”
4. Redemption. Jesus gave His life as a ransom for us. We were redeemed from our sin debt owed to Satan.
Galatians 3:13-14 “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us.”
5. Defeated the Devil. Christ’s death disarmed the rulers and authorities and put them to open shame, by triumphing over them in him” (Colossians 3:15). Satan’s only weapon that can ultimately hurt people is unforgiven sin, Christ’s death disabled that weapon, therefore…
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon formed against you shall prosper…….
6. He Took Our Place. Jesus died as our Substitute. Christ accomplished all of these benefits for us by dying in our place – that is, by dying instead of us. We deserved to die, and he took our sin upon him and paid the penalty himself.
Isaiah 53:5-6 “he was pierced through for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities . . .